Resource Mapping with the Community
Uncovering assets in the community is a matter of asking what’s available in the community I wish to partner with. Using the landscape analysis as a foundation, LEAs can begin to partner authentically with communities towards impact. The landscape analysis can provide you with the data to decide which resources to pursue at the right time.
- Get visual: create a map!
- Instead of just producing a written report or slides, get visual and create an asset map.
- Asset mapping is a method used in community development. It helps to identify and document existing resources such as institutions, individuals and citizen associations in a community. [cite]
- This map is a visual representation of a community’s strengths and is an interactive way of showcasing a community’s resources such that others might draw on them.
- Some things to consider when mapping:
- Consider the geographic boundaries of the community
- Determine a system for organizing community assets: physical, economic, socio–cultural, educational…
How will you represent individuals and their skills on this map?
Sample Community Asset Map
Social Services Agencies
People with Disabilities
Chamber of Commerce
Health Advocacy Groups