Element 3: Dream a Vision for the Future
After a shared understanding of the system has been established, communities should collaborate across young people, families, community partners, and education system staff to build a vision for a better future. This collective vision should be rooted in a shared understanding of community experiences, strengths, aspirations, and needs.
Dream A Vision for the Future Case Story:
Santa Clara County Office of Education
The following case story describes one county office’s journey to establishing a vision and model for wellness centers that is responsive to the interests of students countywide.
The Santa Clara County Office of Education (SCCOE) recently developed a model to formalize school-based health offerings throughout the 32 LEAs, public charter schools, and early care and education programs it supports countywide. As they developed the wellness center model, county leaders centered student experiences by engaging student advisory group members who emphasized their interest in alternative therapies and services aside from clinical support such as counseling. Listen to this story clip to hear county staff members Amanda Dickey, Director of Government Relations, and Dr. Chaun Powell, former Director for Youth Health and Wellness, share more about the development of the wellness center vision.Click Here to Listen
- If available, review your school or district’s vision statement. What do you notice or wonder about this vision?
- Are those setting the vision in your school or district representative of the community? How do you know?
- Are there opportunities to reflect with the community on whether the vision is responsive to community aspirations?
Fast forward five years into the future. Imagine your school or district in its ideal state. Write down the following:
- What does your school or district look and sound like? What does it feel like to walk through the doors of a school or district office?
- What have been the major accomplishments along the way to get to this ideal future?
- What are people saying about your school or district?
Resources to Explore
- Determining a Team’s Mission and Vision: A protocol for developing a team mission and vision
CCSC Audio Gallery. WestEd. https://ca-safe-supportive-schools.wested.org/resource/2292/